Friday, April 04, 2008

There's always Emerson...

So I probably wouldn't get into any school if I were applying now. The top Ivy League schools accepted fewer than 10 percent of their applicants this year. Harvard accepted 7.1 percent of its 27,462 applicants; Yale 8.3 percent of 22,813; and Columbia 8.7 percent. Back when we were applying, those schools were accepting more than twice that, percentage-wise.

The dwindling acceptance rates are a product of huge applicant pools -- that could stem from the larger number of kids going to college, the ease of online applications, and the end of early admission at schools like Harvard and Princeton, according to the New York Times.

Anyway the low admissions rates at top schools are must be trickling down to other schools, so B students are probably getting screwed. In other words, if I were eight years younger I'd probably be going to University of Phoenix.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi it's Gina. Obviously this was a HUGE topic of conversation here at Fordham. It's insane, right? This past year Fordham went down to 42 percent, which is low for us! Jeez!

HarbatKAT said...

Supposedly the population boom is tapering off because the kids of baby boomers are having fewer children. Theoretically, that should mean that this jump in selectivity is temporary. But I think the echo boomers aren't necessarily having fewer children -- they're just going to start having children later. Which means our kids (and by "our," I mean "our generation") will have an even harder time getting in. They won't even be able to have a social life.

In an aside, how come Gina's the only one who comments on this thing anymore? I know Brian, Eric, and U.K. Paul read this thing, among others. Where are you people?

Anonymous said...

It's crazy how hard it is to get into to college now. My siter had close to 1500 on her SATs and she was sixth in her class and was rejected from all ivy-leagues. Funnily enough she started at the Honors college at Rutgers and got average to below average grades.

On another note, though, college is very tough to get into now a days, a Bachelor's doesnt mean that much at all. I was looking at a job ad that was asking for a PHD, MBA and/or a JD. Multiple advanced degrees are becoming a requirement for many fields.

Shruti