AYUTHAYA
The first photos are from Ayuthaya, which was Thailand's capital from 1350 to 1767. The name is Sanskrit for "unassailable" or "undefeatable." Four hundred temples were constructed throughout the city, but now it's a collection of ancient ruins. Many of the Buddha's were beheaded by looters for overseas antique collectors, and I was told after visiting there that there are signs instructing people not to have their picture taken standing behind the beheaded Buddhas. Apparently the city has had a problem with Western tourists pretending to be Buddha. It makes me sad that I didn't see these signs.
The first three pictures are of Wat Phra Mahathat, which was built in the 14th century. It's one of the most famous temples in the city. To the right is a Buddha head intertwined in tree roots.
The fourth photo is of Wat Ratburana, built in the 15th century for King Borom Rachathirat II's two brothers, who killed each other because they each wanted to assume the throne. I barely got any photos of Ratburana because I accidentally used up all my camera battery taking pictures of Giz before leaving. Ooops.
The last Ayuthaya picture is of the stall where I ate my first Thailand meal. It was at the Night Market, and I have no idea what it is. I only know that it was very, very spicy.





BANGKOK
I spent about three days in Bangkok -- the longest I spent anywhere. The first photos are of the Grand Palace, which includes Wat Phra Kaew and houses the Emerald Buddha. The Emerald Buddha is supposedly really famous, but it's so small that it's hard to see in the midst of all the decorations surrounding it. Anyway the Buddha has a different-colored robe for each season, and the king changes the robe himself.
Grand Palace
Grand Palace
Grand PalaceIn the same neighborhood as the Grand Palace is Wat Pho, which is famous for its giant reclining Buddha and its Thai massage school. I didn't get a Thai massage there, but I did see the reclining Buddha...
Giant reclining Buddha, Wat Pho
Wat Pho
Wat PhoAcross the river from the Grand Palace and Wat Pho is Wat Arun (above), which was the site of the royal palace after the capital moved from Ayuthaya and before the Grand Palace was built. Construction of this tower began in the early 19th century.
Wat ArunThe Amulet Market lines the streets near all these temples in Bangkok. Basically, a bunch of people lay down towels/blankets/whatever and sell random things, ranging from small handicrafts to batteries. It also seems to be a popular hangout for cats...
The Amulet Market, BangkokThe Chatuchak Weekend Market is held in the northern part of the city every weekend. It's a claustrophobic collection of stalls selling clothes, food, bags, handicrafts and basically anything you can think of. It seems to draw a 50/50 mix of Thais and travelers.
The Chatuchak Weekend Market, Bangkok
The Chatuchak Weekend Market, Bangkok
No comments:
Post a Comment