I sent my resume and clips to 35 newspapers last week, and today I was dutifully following up with a few of them. Since I'm going to be in NY anyway, I was trying to set up informational interviews with the five papers that are within an hour of the city. Now, I mostly got varying degrees of "We're not hiring again, ever," but the best was from the managing editor of the Courier-Post, a 75,000-circulation daily in Cherry Hill, NJ.
Me: Hi, my name is Erica Harbatkin, and I'm calling to follow up about a resume and clips I sent in last week. I'm going to be in the New York area next week, and was hoping we might be able to set up an informational interview.
Her: Yeeeaaaahhh, your resume and clips. Remind me of your experience again?
Me: *Reminded her of my experience*
Her: Yeeeaaahhh (think of the boss in Office Space), I think we're gonna have to pass.
Me: You're gonna have to pass on an informational interview?
Her: Yeeeaahhhh.
I mean, I've been shot down plenty. But this from a generally dinky 75,000-circ paper in Southern Jersey? Really?
1 comment:
ouch... sorry.
Post a Comment