Thursday, June 01, 2006

Shoulda been a zookeeper...

So I'm headed to China for two weeks on Monday, and I had to apply for a Chinese visa. Well everything was all set, the place told me I could pick up my visa on Friday, and all of a sudden I got a call from them yesterday.

Apparently the Chinese consulate was very concerned about my career, which is listed as "journalist."

I hadn't even thought about that, especially since I had kind of thought of China as a much more progressive place than, say, Morocco, where I decided not to write "journalist" on the visa application. I wrote "sportswriter," Nicole wrote "zookeeper," and neither of us ran into any trouble.

As for the Chinese consulate, I had to go back in yesterday and write a letter saying that I did not plan to practice any of my journalism while in China. I wonder if I would have had to write that letter if I'd listed my profession as witch?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm sorry I didn't get back in touch before you're leaving again! I called and left a message...hopefully I called the right number. If not, someone else got a semi-colorful message from the self proclaimed "Obesity Girl." So...is Nicole's actual job anything like a...zookeeper? If not, that was delightfully random. Next time, say you're a proctologist.

HarbatKAT said...

Nope, Nicole's a journalist. But once she wrote a story about the zoo. I got your message... My brother was entirely un-amused. I'll try calling you back this weekend.

Anonymous said...

Well shit. I was totally aiming for your brother's amusement.

eatrawfish said...

Yeah, China likes to arrest their journalists lately.

Anonymous said...

Cool, what inspired you to go to China?

HarbatKAT said...

No inspiration. My mom lives there. Have to visit before I get a job.

Aviva said...

How's China??
(had you ever been before? i forget...)

Anonymous said...

Wish I could say i've visited 3 continents in a months time :)