So today I went snoeshowing in the Swiss Alps. (which are absolutely beautiful... from the train you can see the Alps and the lake right up against each other, like two worlds colliding. Or something.) Anyway I shoeshowed for about four hours, and spend at least two of them lost. I've finally become competent at reading maps (I had to - the people in France didn't want to help direct me at all), but this newfound skill does not come into play when there are no road signs on the trails or landmarks on the map.
But despite my utter lack of direction there and a few unfortunate and terrifying instances of wandering into the ski slopes and nearly getting steamrolled, it was absolutely amazing. Switzerland is such a gorgeous country. People say we have everything in the L.A. area with the beach and the mountains for hiking and the slopes for skiing, but we have nothing like this.
Tomorrow I'm going to Munich, but I have to change trains in Zurich anyway so I'm going to spend the day there. I'll be a little sad to leave Switzerland I think. Obviously the museums in London and Paris are amazing and wonderful, but accounting for the rest of it (the landscape, the culture, the general feeling you get somewhere), I think Switzerland's been my favorite country so far.
That aside, I'm sure Munich will be awesome.
5 comments:
Hello Erica!
Good to see you're doing well in Switzerland. It's back to work for me tomorrow, back to reality :-( I miss Paris!
I'll send you some cool photos of the catacombs and St Paddy's night in due course.
For realz,
Paul
I would just like to draw attention to the fact that that comment was written by an Englishman, who, as you can see, has decided to adopt American slang. In the coming months, he will be spreading "For realz" and "dude" through England. Which will be great, because he's an engineer, which means all the English engineers will soon be saying "dude."
You should reciprocate and pepper your vernacular with British idioms such as "blimey", "gosh", "wanker", "twat" etc.
By the way, I have your maglite which you left behind in Paris. Do you want to take a detour to Birmingham, England and pick it up? The weather is lovely here ;-)
no need for detours that involve meeting wankers. Theres my use of your lingo.
Damn I was wondering where that went! Blimey! (see how I worked that in?) Well, consider it my gift to you. A lasting reminder of the Catacombes.
(Oh and for the record, Daniel is my brother, who likes to act older and protective sometimes)
Post a Comment